Home » Features
What’s Happening this New Year in Manchester?
People generally obsess about heading to London for the New Year but there’s so much equally awesome stuff going on in our other big cities. Take Manchester for example; it’s the party capital of the north. If you live in northern Britain, it’s a much better place to go for your New Year than travelling all the way down to London and if you normally live in the south then why not try somewhere new? Too long you’ve been heading to your mate’s party or going to London to see the fireworks: Manchester has it all, plus loads more.
Here are five of the best things going on in Manchester this New Year. You’re guaranteed to have a fantastically original time no matter what you choose to do! It may be too late now to book for many things but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other things to do. Whatever you do – make sure you have somewhere to stay. Accor Hotels have a winter sale on at the moment which you can take advantage of, so your stay in a Manchester hotel can be a classy but cheap one.
- Spinningfields Ice Rink. Set up the tone for the rest of the day by skating on Manchester’s only outdoor ice rink. It’s open from November 22nd 2012 – January 6th 2013 and this year there will be ten Fun Skate Penguins available for you to hire, which are suitable for children under ten years old. You can bring the kids along to something that everybody will be able to enjoy.
- The Warehouse Project. For your clubbing fix, the Warehouse Project is staging a final gig to end its four month-long stint. There’ll be headlining acts including Annie Mac, James Zabiela, Rudimental and Simian Mobile Disco, so you’ll be guaranteed a New Year’s Eve party to remember. This will be highly in demand and may already be completely sold out, but check online for people selling their tickets on auction sites. Tickets originally cost £32.50, so make sure you’re not being ripped off if you do end up having to resort to this!
- New Year’s Eve Gala at the Manchester Bridgewater Hall. For something a bit different that’s the complete opposite of going clubbing, try this instead. It’s an evening of opera including music by Puccini, Verdi, Tchaikovsky and Johann Strauss. The Manchester Camerata will be guiding you into the New Year in style and sophistication as you enjoy one of the most prestigious New Year events that Manchester has to offer. If you can’t get tickets for this year, don’t worry because there is a similar performance every year!
- 235 Casinos. With Skyfall still making a huge a dent in cinemas, 235 Casino is decking out their Casino Royale night with full Bond attire and decor. This is sure to mean a premier Manchester New Year event, as it includes a disco, free bets, and a meal as well as several live entertainers.
- Sankeys. If you haven’t heard of them before, Sankeys is one of Manchester’s most critically acclaimed clubs that everyone in Manchester will have at least heard about. Intriguingly, it got its name because it’s situated in an old soap factory which used to be called ‘Sankey Soaps’. They have an incredible New Year party lined up, with The Martinex Brothers, Josef K and Ellesse making sure revellers enter 2013 in true raving style.
Finding something to do on New Year’s Eve in Manchester really isn’t that difficult and whatever you choose you’re sure to burn off some of the calories you’ve eaten over Christmas. You won’t notice of course because you’ll be enjoying yourself too much!