Valley's superb run is ended

By Jamie Arrowsmith Wednesday 06 February 2013 Updated: 06/02 18:47

Latest News

Buy photos » Sam Youngs goes down under a challenge on Saturday. Picture by Martin Pulley.

Guildford City 2 Rugby Town 1

Southern League Division One Central

TOWN’S 12-match unbeaten run came to an end in Surrey on Saturday when the visitors found themselves out of luck.

Despite playing the majority of the second half with ten men after the harsh dismissal of keeper Dave Bevan, Rugby were still the better team throughout but they saw their chances of salvaging point blown late-on when substitute Richard Blythe missed from the penalty spot.

Valley were at the hosts from the off and Seb Lake-Gaskin shot wide early on whilst David Kolodynski squandered a great opportunity to give his side the lead when shooting straight at City keeper Anthony Hall.

Kolodynski had a couple of further efforts before Sam Youngs missed another decent chance after he had broken from deep.

With Alex Gudger also heading wide from a couple of corners, it seemed only a matter of time before the goal came, so it was a major surprise that it was Guildford that broke the deadlock when Craig Kelly was adjudged to have tripped Scott Todd - allowing Sean Rivers to step up and stroke home a penalty.

Lake-Gaskin went close before the interval, before Kolodynski atoned for his first half waywardness when he struck a great equalising free-kick into the top corner from at least 20-yards after 59 minutes.

Not long after that Rivers ran onto Dan Moody’s long ball, and he and Bevan collided just outside the penalty area.

The referee awarded a foul and also decided the challenge warranted a red card - despite the striker appearing to be heading away from the goal. With no recognised goalie on the bench, defender Mason Rowley took the gloves for Town.

The Moody-Rivers combination accounted for Guildford’s second, when the latter nodded home the former’s corner - but after this setback, Rowley was barely troubled again by a generally disappointing City side.

Ten-man Valley pushed hard in the final 20 minutes, but lacked bite in front of goal - with Robbie Banks, Kelly and Youngs all seeing their shots easily gathered by Hall.

However, in stoppage time, it looked like they had finally been given their lifeline when Kolodynski was clearly upended in the box by Dammy Bada.

With regular penalty taker Sam Belcher now off the field substituted, Blythe took responsibility from the spot - but was denied by a low save from Hall.

Share This

Popular »

1 Rugby woman celebrates 40th with Lady Gaga

2 Concern over Dunchurch traffic changes

3 Police seek man in sexual assault investigation

4 M&S, Burton head to bigger out-of-town stores

5 Tributes paid to TV auctioneer David Barby

More sport »

Rugby Union: OLs return to action in style

Shipston on Stour 0 Old Laurentians 58 Midlands

Triathlon: Podium joy for Needham

THE Wellingborough Multi-Terrain Race second round threw up

Football: Defeats see Town lose top spot

RUGBY Town have lost their place at the

Hockey: Hat-trick hero boosts Rugby

Rugby and East Warks 3 Edgbaston 1 MRHA

Regional sport »

Coventry Observer
Tom Wood expects England to bounce back against Samoa

FLANKER Tom Wood has dismissed suggestions England’s World Cup 2015 ...

Solihull Observer
Winning return for Old Silhillians

OLD Silhillians made a welcome return to winning ways in ...

Leamington Observer
Another win for Warwick Boat Club

WARWICK Boat Club squash teams continued their strong start to ...

Stratford Observer
Midlands glory for Hammadi

STRATFORD & District Boxing Academy gained another champion over the ...