Update
Stray firework may have caused furniture store blaze

By Dan Santy Friday 16 November 2012 Updated: 22/11 13:05

Latest News

Buy photos » Let's Buy Furniture's warehouse on Somers Road was the scene of a huge fire at the weekend. Picture courtesy of Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service. (s)

POLICE are exploring the possibility the huge blaze which destroyed a discount furniture warehouse was started by a stray firework or Chinese lantern.

The fire, which destroyed Somers Road based Let's Buy Furniture and all the stock and records held inside on Sunday November 5, is now being treated as unexplained by officers investigating.

A Warwickshire Police spokeswoman said the evidence gathered so far was inconclusive.

She added: "We are keeping an open mind as to what may have caused the fire and looking at all possibilities, including that the fire could have been inadvertently caused by a Chinese lantern or stray firework.

"Police are keen to hear from anyone who let off fireworks or lit Chinese lanterns or other items to celebrate Bonfire Night anywhere in the Somers Road area on Saturday November 4 between 8.30pm and 9.30pm."

Any witnesses, or anyone with information, is asked to contact DS Phil Pawsey on 01788 856125.

Regional news »


Coventry Observer
Halloween fundraiser for Zoe's Place

LEGENDARY Coventry fundraiser, Phil Baylis is hosting a family bonfire ...

Solihull Observer
Sumatran Tigers get in the Halloween spirit

IT MIGHT just look like a traditional Halloween game, but ...

Leamington Observer
Live on is message for Warwickshire poppy appeal

LIVE On is the message of this year's poppy appeal ...

Stratford Observer
Dad of fallen paratrooper goes to Afghanistan in memory

THE FATHER of fallen paratrooper Conrad Lewis has made an ...