Rugby Union
Twickenham dream is still alive

By Jamie Arrowsmith Wednesday 05 December 2012 Updated: 05/12 14:02

Latest News

Buy photos » OLs' forwards were in dominant mood against Huntingdon on Saturday. Picture by Ray Todd.

Old Laurentians 27 Huntingdon and District 14

Midlands Intermediate Cup Quarter-Final

OLs moved to within three wins of a Twickenham appearance when bringing Huntingon’s perfect record for the season to an end on Saturday.

Boasting a 100 per cent record in all competitions going into the game, Huntingdon started the brighter of the two sides and enjoyed the lion’s share of possession in the first half before OLs came back strongly in the second half to record an ultimately, comfortable victory.

OLs struck first with just three minutes on the clock when good line-out ball allowed a rolling maul to be set up and James Orbinson claimed the score.

That was only the signal for a period of heavy pressure from the visitors though, during which OLs proved strong defence can win games.

With their outstanding back row of James Orbinson, Glenn Todd and acting skipper Carl Adams to the fore, supported by a strong and mobile front five, in which Cain Jones had an impressive game on his first start for the team, OLs’ tackling was fierce and conclusive, denying the visitors a sight of the line.

They finally breached OLs’ defences after 23 minutes when driving over from a line-out but the hosts quickly regained their advantage when demonstrating how to turn defence into attack.

Todd, Adams and Orbinson did brilliantly in defence to set up the attacking opportunity which saw the ball reach Simon Bayliss on the left and he kicked ahead, deep into enemy territory.

Although the ball was caught by a Huntingdon man he was quickly tackled and robbed of possession which allowed Ben Nuttall to finish the attack after charging 80m upfield, Bean’s conversion proved to be the final points of the half which meant the hosts went in 12-5 ahead.

Huntingdon’s fly half Dan Malem proceeded to kick three penalties in the space of 15 minutes at the start of the second half to edge his side 14-12 ahead but once Bean responded with a penalty of his to make it 15-14, OLs never looked back.

With the backs coming into play more regularly OLs moved further ahead when James Collins’ long pass sent his backs away, Ben Wiles arriving in the line from full back to send Bayliss over for a try that made it 20-14.

As full time neared, OLs were awarded a penalty on the left of their own 22 and Bean looked up to see space on the right, where Lee Hersey was calling for the ball.

Bean’s inch perfect kick saw Hersey field the ball at pace before making a lot of ground and off-loading to Orbinson who found Iain Wallis on his outside to go over in the corner for a converted try.

Banbury are the visitors to Fenley Field on Saturday as OLs turn their attentions back to the league (2.15pm).

Popular »

1 M&S, Burton head to bigger out-of-town stores

2 Rugby Cadet saluted for community spirit

3 Bernard Shaw comedy heads to Lutterworth stage

4 St George to ride into Rugby

5 Rugby shopping mall put up for sale

More sport »

Canoeing: Woods sets sights on Olympic glory

AS EVERYONE looks back on their memories of

Football: High five for unstoppable Town

Leighton Town 1 Rugby Town 2 Southern League

Football: Stringer is set to make changes

RUGBY Town boss Dave Stringer will have to

Rugby Union: Final joy for Lutterworth

Lutterworth 31 Loughborough 29 Leicestershire County Cup Semi-Final

Regional sport »

Coventry Observer
Coventry Bees taste first defeat of the season

BEES suffered their first defeat of the season as Elite ...

Solihull Observer
Youngster Amy McDougall wins monthly award

YOUNG showjumper Amy McDougall has been named as the NAF ...

Leamington Observer
Coventry Bees boss upbeat despite Poole defeat

GARY Havelock believes that two controversial refereeing decisions cost his ...

Stratford Observer
Athletes recall Worcester runs

SEVERAL Stratford Athletic Club members were in action at the ...