Late joy for Valley

By Jamie Arrowsmith Wednesday 07 November 2012 Updated: 12/11 11:21

Latest News

Buy photos » Fazel Koriya puts on the pressure against Burnham. Picture by Martin Pulley.

Slough Town 2 Rugby Town 3

Southern League Division One Central

DAVID Kolodynski’s last minute winner secured a dramatic victory for Rugby at Slough on Tuesday night in a game that saw both sides reduced to ten men.

After a low-key first half, the game came alive after the break with Rugby being pegged back after opening up a two-goal lead before Kolodynski’s late strike sealed the points.

Slough, who kept their FA Cup run alive with a hard fought for draw at Mansfield on Saturday, thought they had taken an early lead when Danny Burnell finished off a good move but he was denied by the off-side flag.

Seb Lake-Gaskin tested home keeper James Warrington with a powerful strike after 15 minutes, but generally both sides’ shooting radar was faulty.

Rugby went into the second half a man down after Steve Palmer picked up two yellow cards in quick succession but that did not stop them taking the lead when Kolodynski ran at the defence before feeding Lake-Gaskin to find the net with a shot that squirmed under the keeper’s body.

The numbers were levelled up when Danny Murphy saw red for denying Kolodynski a goalscoring opportunity and Rugby made it 2-0 from the free kick when Kolodynski stabbed home after Warrington failed to deal with Craig Kelly’s delivery.

Dave Bevan saved well from both Jake Parsons and Burnell as Slough stepped up the tempo and they pulled one back when Burnell headed in Ed Smith’s cross at the back post.

Kolodynski volleyed a good chance to make it 3-1 over and Rugby were made to pay for that miss in the 72nd minute when Ed Smith beat Bevan from 30-yards.

Valley looked the more likely winners in the closing stages and that proved to be the case as Kolodynski scored at the second attempt after being put through by Sam Youngs.

THINGS did not go so well on Saturday as Rugby were beaten 3-2 at home by Burnham, a third straight home defeat.

Lake-Gaskin gave Rugby the lead after 34 minutes with a goal against the run of play, but the visitors fought back well to establish a two goal cushion before Lake-Gaskin gave Valley hope for the closing ten minutes with his ninth goal of the season.

John Munday headed wide and Jordan Dowdican screwed one wide as Burnham started the brighter but it was Rugby who edged ahead when Lake-Gaskin showed good strength to hold off two defenders and finish neatly past Michael Watkins.

The visitors were soon level though when Daniel Willment hooked the ball back into the net from an improbable angle.

Burnham again settled quicker after the restart with Ashley Smith having a shot blocked before Bird edged his side ahead in the 59th minute.

Bird, the league’s leading scorer, then headed home Smith’s corner to seemingly make the game safe for the visitors but Lake-Gaskin’s late goal gave Rugby late hope.

Popular »

1 St George to ride into Rugby

2 Tributes paid to TV auctioneer David Barby

3 Junction One expansion to go ahead but Matalan turned away

4 Rugby Cadet saluted for community spirit

5 M&S, Burton head to bigger out-of-town stores

More sport »

Rugby Union: Welsh claim local pride

Rugby St Andrews 2nds 10 Rugby Welsh 23

Canoeing: Woods shines at Olympic venue

RUGBY Canoe Club's Kimberley Woods picked up an

Football: Stringer praises Town’s character

RUGBY Town boss Dave Stringer praised the character

Rugby Union: OLs’ perfect record is ended

Kenilworth 34 Old Laurentians 31 Midlands Two West

Regional sport »

Coventry Observer
Coventry Bees taste first defeat of the season

BEES suffered their first defeat of the season as Elite ...

Solihull Observer
Youngster Amy McDougall wins monthly award

YOUNG showjumper Amy McDougall has been named as the NAF ...

Leamington Observer
Coventry Bees boss upbeat despite Poole defeat

GARY Havelock believes that two controversial refereeing decisions cost his ...

Stratford Observer
Athletes recall Worcester runs

SEVERAL Stratford Athletic Club members were in action at the ...