By Dan Santy 24/04 Updated: 24/04 16:23
INSPECTORS have slapped a care home in Wolston with an official warning after finding rooms were left dirty and mattresses were inadequate for the people using them.
Wolston Grange has been told by watchdog the Care Quality Commission (CQC) it must improve its standards or face tougher action after inspectors found a number of failings at the Coalpit Lane home.
In January, CQC inspectors visited the home after concerns were raised about the cleanliness and management of infection control at the home, owned by Pinnacle Care Limited.
While there they found some bedrooms were not cleaned properly. In one, a basin full of dirty water was discovered, while in another a soiled armchair had been left untouched.
Mattresses used at the home were not waterproof, and the plastic covers used on beds for people suffering with incontinence were deemed inadequate.
And areas designated for staff to wash their hands were either without soap, towels or antibacterial gel, while the home did not have any cleaners despite telling the CQC in November it had hired some.
The home and its owners have been given until the end of the month to make improvements. If it fails, prosecution or closure are a possiblity, according to a CQC spokeswoman.
The watchdog's director of operations for the region, Andrea Gordon, said: "The law says these are the standards everyone should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they are compliant.
"This warning sends a clear and public message Pinnacle Care Limited needs to address this issue or face further consequences.
"Our inspectors will return in the near future and if we find the required progress is not made we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who use this service."
A DRIVING instructor forced to take 18 months
A TORNADO swept a path of destruction through
VILLAGERS fear Binley Woods will lose its heart
NEWBORN babies will be introduced to the world
Coventry's school meals service faces the axe in council cuts. ...
A MAN was to be taken to hospital following a ...
THE CHRISTMAS spirit was alive in Warwick at the town's ...